I wrote to clients today regarding the pre-registration for “generic TLDs” and some suggestions they could consider. Below are some general details of what I sent including:
- A list of new TLDs (top level domains) that are coming available that might be of interest.
- For more info on TLDs in general, I wrote this last year.
- The new TLDs will cost $25-$40 per year to register. It depends on the TLD.
It’s also important to understand how the pre-registration process works, so as a quick overview:
- We can Pre-Register for them for $40 and Godaddy (the registrar we use) will submit these on February 13.
- We can pay more to improve the priority of our registration, but I don’t think that’s necessary.
- If we don’t get them, the pre-registration fee is refunded.
- For higher priority, that starts at $189, and that application fee is non-refundable.
- Higher priority goes in phases, with Phase 5 (one step in front of the $40 registration going for $189, and Phase 1 or top priority going for $12,000+!
In general, these are worth considering for marketing, or for capturing a name we wouldn’t want a competitor using for marketing. Let me know what questions you have!
Here is the list of the 25 gTLDs available today for pre-registration.